Friday, January 22, 2010

Staging in Philly

With each day, all of this is becoming even more of a reality.  I received my staging information yesterday and called PC today to book my flight to Philadelphia on February 25th.  It's a little bit weird to have definite date set of when I will leave Denver.  At times, it hardly seems real that this is all happening...  Mom and dad may come out to Philly to see me off, and possibly have some chances to meet other PCV (Peace Corps Volunteers) and maybe parents.

A few weeks ago I was stressing myself out, and I feel like I'm doing it again.  Last time was about all the unknowns of what I will be doing, people I will be going with, what to bring, etc.  This time I'm stressing about making sure I get everything I need/want to bring with me to Malawi.  It seems like there is so much to do between packing and meeting up with friends and family.  Amdist the stress, I'm also doing my best to appreciate and enjoy where I am and what I have right now.  Presumed comparisons of USA:Malawi - Warm shower : cold bucket of water; electricity at my fingertips : candles; food with flavor :  food with dirt (maybe some fried ants too); email : snailmail; refrigerator : block of ice....er, puddle of water?  I'm doing my best, but it is quite weird how with just about everything I do, every place I go, all the comforts I have....I cant help but think "Enjoy it!  You wont have it for a while."

This is all an adventure I have electively signed up for, and I am looking so forward to serving!  Although somedays I do ask myself if I am crazy and how I ever came up with this idea!  It will be an experience of a lifetime!  So bring it on, big man.

No comments:

Post a Comment